Tuesday 30 October 2012

Is the lock-in worth the price of admission.




As I’ve become older I have become more concerned about choice. I thought that as I became older a stable and comforting environment would be the natural choice.  Where I didn’t need to worry about where my data was, it simply would appear where I needed it. A vision that Apple and Microsoft have promised and are creating everyday. But like a lot of things in life your perceptions of what you want as you get older change. As a younger man I enjoyed Apple’s independent attitude, we do our own thing the rest can buy Windows. As Apple broaden its scope it narrowed its choices. For a growing  audience this is what many want, tighter integration of your data available on every device that you own. The catch is that for all of this to work you need to keep buying one companies devices. Apple, Microsoft and to lesser extent Android are drawing consumers into a smaller eco system, the question is the lock-in worth the price of admission?
I hope that Linux continues to hold the promise of choice because as I get older I want to choose more not less. I am not constrained by peer pressure and fashion I choice to use my data as I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to give me your opion