Saturday 21 June 2014

Narrow opions

Every couple of years I relent and somehow end up using a Windows machine. Each time like a recurring nightmare the problems come rushing back. I am a graphic designer and have been for twenty years. In that time I have seen an industry transition from an analogue technology to a fully digital one. I have played my part in this transformation, but throughout this journey Apple has been my stable workhorse. Occasionally I have baulked at the price of the hardware and dreamed wistfully of buying a sleek piece of hardware from a different manufacturer but each time the prospect of dealing with driver issues and font problems have made me back off. Sticking with what you know is a maximum that works but I worry that perhaps I'm becoming too narrow in my opinions, to prevent this I explored the world of open source software. I settled on a mac like experience on my main desktop machine at home, Elementary OS and I have really enjoyed it.Tonight I attempted to install Windows Vista onto my desktop machine to give me a permanent large screen environment when using Photoshop and Indesign. All went well until the end, Windows in my experience has always struggled with graphic drivers. When I have installed Linux on any machine there has never been an issue with the graphics driver, I can always see the screen and begin using the machine. Each time that I have attempted to install Windows I always think 'this time' it will go smoothly, instead, I end up pulling my hair out and at my age you have to be careful with your hair. Why is free and user supported software, such as Elementary able to use my graphics card perfectly whilst the operating system from one of the richest companies in the world cannot.
Is it not time that Adobe and other desktop design companies such as Quark treated the Linux platform as an equal I think they may be surprised how many budget conscious designer are they're in the World. Who would love to make a choice based on their needs rather compromising to accommodate the operating system and, therefore, the needs of two very wealthily companies?

1 comment:

  1. Never use Windows Vista on anything. Installing and supporting it is a nightmare even for techies. It is the OS that even Microsoft tries to forget! Windows 7 is a far better user experience.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to give me your opion